Since the 1st of January 2020, all new e-cards must have a photo of the cardholder. The old e-card should be changed with a new one, with a photo, before the 31.12.2023.
The following people do not need a photo on their e-card:
- Children under the age of 14
- People who have reached or are about to reach 70 years in the year of issuing the card
- People who have a care level 4, 5, 6 or 7.
For most of the people there will be no additional tasks since the card:
- Can be taken from the register for identity documents (there the photos from Austrian passports and ID cards are saved)
- Can be taken from the drivers’ license register if the person possesses a cheque-card driving license
- Can be taken from the central foreigners’ register (residence permit, foreign passport, etc.).
When the insured person does not have a photo from the listed registers, he must provide one!
- The photo: must be ICAO-standard and no more than 6 months old. The photo can be black and white.
- When: around 3 to 4 months before the expiry date of your e-card (See the exact date on the back of the card).
- How: The photo must be personally brought with the old e-card, official ID and proof of citizenship to the responsible registration authority.
An appointment is required!!!